When Mallory's sister first asked for my help, I said yes right away. For some reason I've been gravitating toward baby items on Pinterest (...baby fever anyone??) and planning a baby shower gave a real reason to start pinning. =)
We started out by choosing a date and time. Several factors went into deciding which day it would be held on:
1) What did Mallory want?
2) What day would most people be likely to come?
3) What time would be most convenient for people?
4) Which date and time made the most sense for us host-ies?
First thing's first, it's always a good idea to make sure the guest of honor/mommy-to-be is going to be available on the chosen date! Otherwise, what's the point of having the party?! Also, we thought it would be important for the shower to be on a Sunday, given that Saturdays in the fall always seem to be super busy with football games, children's activities, what have you. Given that, we chose a 2 PM time on Sunday, November 9. Some thought went in to the 2 PM time as we wanted to give people enough time to go to church and eat lunch but not cut it too close to dinner time. Plus, having an early afternoon shower allowed us to cut back on the food amounts some since we figured most people would have eaten by that time.
We also had to find some place to have this shin-dig! A couple of options that came up were the party room at the Dakota City Fire Hall and the fireside room at Mallory's church. After talking with Mallory, she told me she thought the fire room would work well (she meant the room at the church). LESSON #1: Clarify, clarify, clarify. Upon learning this from Mallory, I told her sister to book the fire HALL room for the party, which meant the Dakota City Fire Hall. Big miscommunication. We got the fire hall, but Mallory didn't know this until she got the invite. Big fail. But, it turned out great so it could have been worse.
Once we settled on the place, next came the invitation and decoration selection. I was in charge of invitations, and after consulting with Mallory, I selected ones Mallory's sister had found on Pinterest sold by a shop on Etsy. (Man, I love that place.) We got them in grey and yellow to match the gender neutral theme! So cute!
Then we started talking about decorations! Pinterest had the cutest diaper bouquets and salt water taffy bouquets inspirations ever. Mal's sister decided to do the diaper bouquets and I made the taffy ones. Here's how they turned out...pretty good I have to say! (Side note: Yellow salt water taffy is EXTREMELY hard to find!).
![]() |
| The diaper bouquets |
![]() |
| Taffy bouquets |
![]() |
| Inspiration Photo |
![]() |
| In progress... |
![]() |
| Final result...so great! |
![]() |
| Inspiration Photo |
![]() |
| My version |
![]() |
| I used shipping labels and designed them using two columns on Word |
![]() |
| Guess the bump! |
![]() |
| We used something similar to this found on Etsy...but Mallory's sister made ours! |
Next, we had to figure out what we were doing for food. Since it was an afternoon shower, appetizers and finger foods seemed like a good choice. I wanted something easy to whip together so I chose little BBQ smokies, spinach dip, and glazed meatballs. Mal's sister said she would do the sandwiches (egg salad, chicken salad, and tuna) as well as a veggie pizza, fruit, and a cold salad. It turned out amazing and I think everything was a really good balance for people to choose from. She also got the cake. It was from HyVee, tasted and looked amazing, but she said it was a little pricey. LESSON #4: Ask about cake prices to reduce sticker shock.
![]() |
| Part of the food set up |
![]() |
| Adorable cake and dessert table Mal's sister put together |
![]() |
| Final set up! |
![]() |
| Myself, the beautiful momma-to-be Mallory, and her sister Lacy |
I've created a Baby Shower Planning Guide in case I ever throw another baby shower...maybe that way we won't forget the prizes! =)
You can download it by clicking here!
Thanks for reading and Happy Sunday!
-Emily


















No comments:
Post a Comment