There's nothing better than sitting down after a weekend and feeling completely relaxed. That's where I'm at today...I had a fun, yet productive weekend and here's a little more about it!
Saturday
We started Saturday morning bright and early, getting up and driving to Neola, Iowa for the Hope for Connor and Kids 5k Run/Walk. This race is a fundraising event for the Alternating Hemiplegia of Childhood Foundation. My cousin Connor has been diagnosed with this disease, which is a rare debilitating neurological disorder that affects children, causing devastating health issues. Although Connor has dealt with this disease for most of his life, he is one of the most loving, sweet, and pure human beings I know. We are praying for Connor as he began not feeling well during the event and we hope he starts feeling better really soon.
![]() |
| Peyton must be hiding...On our way to the 5K |
![]() |
| Beautiful morning for a drive |
As we started out Saturday morning, we debated back and forth about whether or not we should bring Peyton and Archie to the race. We decided at the last minute to bring them since we figured exercise would be better than being locked up in the house all morning. However, it was really last minute and we soon found out we were very unprepared. We had forgotten Peyton's collar and doggie clean-up bags. So we improvised by using Archie's bark collar as Peyton's and stopping at the local gas station for some baggies =).
![]() |
![]() |
Matt (Justin's brother) and his wife Mallory joined also us at the event, and it was fun to have them there to chat! Justin and Matt are very competitive, so they decided it was going to be a race between them. Mallory and I on the other hand decided to walk the course with the dogs in order to catch up (and because I haven't trained enough to run a 5K since before my wedding...ugh). It was awesome to see them and we all had a great time! Plus, I was able to nail down some of the details of Mallory's baby shower that I am helping to throw her. I'm sure I'll blog more about that as it comes together.
![]() |
| Arrowhead Park...a beautiful setting for the Hope 5K |
Another plus of having Matt and Mallory meet us at the 5K was that they brought our wedding rings back from being cleaned in Sioux City. Even though I was missing mine for only a week, I can't explain how weird it is to look down and not have it be on my finger. It's like a mini panic attack every time...trying to remember where I put it. Let's just say I'm happy to have it back, more for my sanity than anything else!
Sunday
It's been an awesome Sunday so far, full of football, crafts, homework, and relaxation. We started off the morning by putting together our new mower after the last one decided to stop working. It's been one of our first "big" purchases since our wedding and surprisingly, both the buying and assembling processes were easy! I guess after months of quibbling over details like flowers, music, and photos, deciding on which lawn mower to purchase is a piece of cake. =)
After Justin left for work I got busy picking up the house and finishing my homework. I know, all the fabulously exciting details everyone wants to hear about. =) Does it add to my story by saying I was studying Employment Discrimination Law? No? I thought not. I spent the rest of the afternoon working on a MAJOR crafting project. I can't talk about it just yet, but there will be an entire post about it soon! Let's just say I had to start all the way over after being about halfway done, so I spent today trying to fix my problems. Other than that, the dogs and I have been watching football, catching up on my DVR shows, and I put some yummy marinated chicken in the crockpot for dinner later this week!
![]() |
| Archie is having a relaxing Sunday as well |
I hope everyone's weekend was as great as mine was! Hopefully I will have some more exciting posts coming soon. Until then, I appreciate you bearing with me as I try to get the hang of this blogging thing.
-Emily
P.S. If you would like more information about AHC or would like to donate to the Foundation, please visit www.ahckids.org. If you would like to get information for next year's race, follow Hope for Connor & Kids- Race for Research on Facebook! =)







Emily - Love this blogging thing!!! I love that I can catch up with you life in a blog post that includes beautiful pictures as a bonus!!! Also loving the layout!!! <3 How did you get the cool captions under your pictures!!!?? This post wasn't boring at all!!! ALSO MAL is getting soooo big!! Eeek so exciting! <3 love you
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Em! I'm liking it too! For the captions...after you insert a picture if you click on it you can add a caption, adjust its size, and location on the page! She's due in December...I'm SO excited to be an Aunt! <3
DeleteBeing an aunt is literally my favorite thing... You can spend all the time with them, but when they cry they aren't yours :) You should probably share the recipe for the marinated chicken :)
ReplyDeleteI CAN'T wait for the little nugget to get here! Hmmmm...maybe I'll do a "favorite recipe" post later this week?
Delete