Friday, February 20, 2015

That Time We FINALLY Got a Dining Room Table...

Share it Please
I'm changing up the Friday Confessional this week because of an awesome event in the Calvert household recently. We finally got a dining room table!!! Yippee!! We've been in our house about a year now and have just had empty space where our dining room table was supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, it was nice sometimes (dance parties anyone?), but I was really looking forward to being able to sit down for dinner at an actual table! 




Aren't they awesome?? Obviously the pictures aren't great, so I hope to post some more here soon. 

We purchased our set along with the entryway table at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Omaha. I love that place, but it can get really overwhelming. Below are my five takeaways from the experience! 

One: Be mentally prepared

So if you've never been to Nebraska Furniture Mart, let me tell you...it's huge! Even if you're not buying anything, it's definitely worth a half-day trip just to walk around all the different buildings and window shop! 

When you are buying something, you have to be really mentally prepared. For example, we walked in there knowing (well I knew...not sure about Justin) that we were going to buy a dining room table. We had talked about it for long enough, it was time to commit. Plus, we got some gift cards from our family to NFM for Christmas, so it was the perfect time! Because we knew what we were going to buy, we headed straight for that section and methodically walked up and down the rows of table sets. Being mentally prepared definitely helped from being overly stimulated and reduced the stress as well. 

Two: Don't wander!

When you're in a place as big as NFM and with so many things, it is far too easy to get distracted. Sure, it's fun to look at that $4,000 sectional or big screen TV or that cool bar that would look so amazing downstairs, but in the end you're just wasting time. 

Plan another trip on a day when you really can just window shop, but save your buying day for looking at things you actually want to buy. 

Three: Bring a neutral third party along. 

I CANNOT stress this one enough. If you're buying something for yourself, maybe you don't need a neutral third-party. But, when you're shopping with your significant other, I think it's really easy to argue and get frustrated. Naturally, everyone has different tastes so having someone there to talk it out with will help move the process along. 

In our case, Justin really liked this one table set, but I said no because there was no option for a leaf. Justin was upset and then didn't agree with any of my choices either. Having Justin's family there to being the one to find the dining table set and the entryway table, and I loved them. Once we were aware of what we had in common as far as style and looks, it was pretty easy!

Four: Don't overthink it!

This is so easy to do, especially with all the options. If you've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, you've really put the hard work past you. Go with you're gut, because either way you're going to be happy with your choice. 

We had it narrowed to one and were in the process of purchasing it, when another (slightly cheaper) model caught our eyes. This dining set had the butterfly leaf so you wouldn't have to worry about where to store a loose leaf, but in the end we stayed with the one we previously selected and I'm so happy! 

Five: Eat at Fudruckers after...always. 

Maybe it's just me, but there's something about eating at Fudruckers after a successful trip to NFM that really puts the cherry on top of the whole day! We don't have one in Lincoln, so getting to go there is always a real treat!

They have amazing burgers (if you're in to that sort of thing), nachos, sandwiches, and hot dogs. YUM!


Thanks so much for reading! I'm linking up with these ladies below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers